Future Water Supply
- Water conservation - Yes, conserving water now effectively extends the life of our water supply. This in turn helps avert the need to develop costly new water sources and large infrastructure projects.
- New major pipelines - Allows water transfer between basins.
- Increased groundwater storage (groundwater recharge basins)
- Increased recycled water capacity or facilities
- Increased desalting capacity of facilities
As you can see, water is moved, pumped, treated, and reused many times over. Most of this requires a lot of water infrastructure and electricity. Once water has gotten to your local water provider, it is, on a daily basis, rigorously tested, treated, and moved through hundreds of miles of pipe to where it is needed. It goes through valves, pump stations, meters, and fire hydrants.